The Supreme Court on Wednesday granted a fresh bail application by a man arrested in December over his alleged involvement in the 2014 murder of a young Hindu man, an attack that shocked the nation.
The man was arrested on the day of the murder, allegedly by unidentified men, and accused of killing the 27-year-old Javed Akbar and throwing the body into a canal.
The accused was granted bail by a court on Wednesday after a three-day hearing.
The case had been transferred to the Allahabad High Court, but a bench of justices Dipak Misra and R M Srinivasan said the state government was still waiting for the plea to be heard.
The bench said the government was entitled to grant bail to the accused after hearing his application and if there was any need to continue bail, the accused should appear before the court.
The court said the accused’s plea, filed by the lawyer of the accused, did not have any merit and the court would grant bail only when the state was satisfied that the accused has shown good conduct and is able to show himself in good health.
The court said it was satisfied with the bail plea filed by Akbar’s lawyer and he will appear in the court on Thursday.
The state government had on May 29, 2015, filed a bail application seeking the arrest of Akbar, who was shot dead by unidentified persons in the Kalyanagar area of Allahabad, where Akbar was working as a labourer.
The case was later transferred to a different court and the accused was arrested.
The murder case had also been transferred from the Allahadabad High court to the lower court.